Monday, December 10, 2007

Best of Brittany: Game Night Edition

A few weekends ago Brittany had game night with 4 of her friends, me and two of my friends. I was a little worried because she had bought the board game version of "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" and though I knew the answer for me, I wasn't sure about Brittany.

The game did not start off with a promising start, as Brittany couldn't understand the directions after she read them, so she made her own up. We answered a total of 19 questions, and here are seven that I was shocked that neither she nor her friends could answer:

Multiple choice, What is the capital of Canada: Quebec, Toronto, Ottawa
Brittany thought my friends and I were guessing when we said it was Ottawa, she couldn't imagine someone actually knowing.

What ocean is the Gulf Stream in?
Do Brittany and her friends understand anything that is in the media regarding global warming?

Multiple choice: What is the fastest land mammal: Cheetah, Jaguar, Tiger
Brittany didn't understand that you could reason out the answer based on the animals' habitat.

True or false: The Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia.
Brittany thought it was New York. But why not Boston? or Charleston? or Washington D.C. :) ?

How many of the letters of the alphabet represent musical notes?
7=ABCDEFG is too hard, but I did like the ingenuity of Brittany's friend that added FACE and Every Good Boy Does Fine to get 9

True or false: Abolitionist John Brown was born a slave.
They had never heard of John Brown, not even African-American Regan. They didn't even think about the fact that he was likely to be white and thus not born a slave. They looked at me as if I were an alien as I told them about Burning Kansas and Harper's Ferry and the lyrics to "John Brown's body".

What formed the Great Lakes?
Glaciers didn't come to mind, not even for the three Ohio natives.

Once we decided this game was a bust, we started playing Clue. Which would have gone well had Brittany not put two weapons and no room in the solution set. C'est la vie.

No comments: